Chris Taylor

Back to Interviews Page

Christopher Taylor is a devout Christian and a member of the North National Church of Christ. He was married to Kim Todd on July 12, 1997. Computers have been one of his passions for almost all of his life. He started to really get interested in computers after seeing the movie War Games. Chris collected aluminum cans to save up enough money to buy his first computer. It was a Commodore 64, which had only 64,000 bytes of memory! Chris has a B.S., M.S. and is currently working on his Ph.D. in Computer Science.

Why are you a Christian?

My simple answer to that is it doesn’t make sense for me not to be. There are too many evidences for God, the meaning of Christ, His life and what He has done... to me there is no other way to respond to that.

Why do you like math?

I like math because there are no shades of gray to it. I like that there is an answer; that anybody who looks at a certain equation or formula will solve it and get the same answer as anybody else who tries to solve it.

Do you think math can be used to lead others to Christ?

I do, but probably only the people who are really mathematically minded. I think if I were to go up to somebody on the street and say, “Let me show you this equation and you’ll love Jesus...” I don’t know if that would go over really well.

Why are you not an atheist?

The best lectures I’ve ever heard as far as that kind of question was from a physics professor. His argument was that the evidence for God and the reasons to be a Christian are just as reasonable as the reasons given by atheists to oppose Christianity. That, at the very least, you have to say it is just as reasonable. But to me, God has done so much for me and been so much for me, I couldn’t repay Him in any other way.

Do you believe in evolution? Why or why not?

I don’t. I think if that were how God did things He would have said so. I don’t believe that is something God would have hidden from us. But even if He did, He is God. He can do what He wants, how He wants and I am thankful that He created it however He chose to do so. I don’t understand why He took six days, that doesn’t make sense to me. He is God. He could have done it in 15 seconds, He chose six days and that is good enough for me. However He chose to do it, I accept.

Are there any special talents God has given you?

Special Talents? Gee. I don’t know, I do Elvis impressions, I study martial arts, but for the most part, really, I think it comes back to my abilities as a mathematician and as a scientist. I think those two are my best talents. I am really good at picking up on patterns. I study patterns. I love to show numbers. That is how my mind works. I see patterns at work all over the place in life and I give glory to God for all of them.

What type of research do you do?

My research is in a field called Data Mining. The idea is to take large collections of data and figure out what patterns lay within the data and what they can tell us. For example, one of the things I just worked with were records of breast cancer patients and what treatments were used on the women, demographic data about the women as far as how old they were, things like that, which women had a recurrence of breast cancer and by looking at that I was able to predict with about 80% accuracy which women the cancer would come back to and which ones were cured. The other 20% we still haven’t figured out. But, it is still nice. It has given us a predictive power, especially to be able to know if this woman is at risk for the cancer to come back and this woman is probably safe.

Back to Interviews Page